2016 TRA Track & Field Honors Recipients Revealed
PITTSBURGH – The USATF Three Rivers Association is pleased to announce the winners of the 2016 TRA Track & Field Honors awards. Dozens of members casts their votes in late September to select the second track & field class who are a great representation of the diversity in our sport.
Started in 2015, this recognition program was created to celebrate the athletic achievements of association members. The program may also recognize coaches, volunteers or those who display great sportsmanship.
The Association is excited to recognize these members and their achievements or contributions to track & field. We look forward to the 2016 cross country season and creating more ways to give back to those who give so much to the sport. Each has received a customized plaque to commemorate their efforts.
Download the 2016 Three Rivers Association Honors – Track & Field Newsletter to learn more about each winner, their reactions and future plans.
2016 winners below:
FEMALE YOUTH ATHLETE(S):
Jayla Ellis – Midas Track Club – 15-16
- National Champion in the 100m H (14.52) at the 2016 USATF Hershey Youth Outdoor Championships.
- National Champion in the long jump (5.44m) at the 2016 USATF Hershey Youth Indoor Championships
- Placed 2ndin the Heptathlon (4061) and 4th in the long jump (5.17m) at the 2016 Hershey Youth Outdoor Championships.
- Placed 2ndin the 55m H (8.44) and 9th in the 400m (1:02) at the 2016 Hershey Youth Indoor Championships.
- 2015 TRA Honors – Track & Field, Female Youth Athlete of the Year
MALE YOUTH ATHLETE
Ayden Owens – Nadia Track Club – 15-16
- National Champion in both the 400m H (53.13) and decathlon (6201) at the 2016 USATF National Junior Olympic Track & Field Championships
- 1stplace in the 400mh ( 54.60), 4th place in the 110m (15.21) and 6th place in the 200m (22.17) at the 2016 USATF Hershey Youth Outdoor Championships
- Participant in 400m H at the 2016 USATF Junior Outdoor Championships – 20th place 22
- 2015 TRA Honors – Track & Field, Male Youth Athlete of the Year
- Broke PA High School shot put record multiple times throughout 2016
- Placed 1stin both the shot put & discus at several high profile meets including PIAA State Championships, Annual Butler Track & Field Invitational, and Knoch Relays
- Named Pennsylvania Gatorade Boy’s Track & Field Athlete of the Year
FEMALE MASTERS ATHLETE
- 1stplace W50-54 10,000m with a time of 38:15.71 at the 2016 USATF Masters Outdoor Championships. The time beat all women 40+
- 1stplace finishes in several road races including St. Barnabas, Brookline and Steelers 5k.
- Voted 2015 USATF National LDR Runner of the Year
MALE MASTERS ATHLETE
- 1stplace in the Men 40-44 Javelin at the 2016 USATF Masters Outdoor Championships. Earned All-American honors.
- 2016 Canadian National Champion in Javelin. Threw the best mark amongst all age divisions.
- 1stplace in the Men 40-44 Javelin at the 2015 USATF Masters Outdoor Championships. Earned All-American honors.
- Oronde Sharif
Oronde Sharif – Nadia Track Club
- Two national champions at the 2016 USATF National Junior Olympic Track & Field Championships
- 5 National Junior Olympic Qualifiers
- Numerous regional and national qualifiers in Team’s history